Thursday 11 October 2012

September Overview


Busy times. Less content. Longer Reviews!

Well...September turned out to be a busier month than expected. Unfortunately, not in the blog site side of things though. Many occurrences in my life outside that of the cyber realm have meant that I've not been able to dedicate as much time as I'd like to filmbore...I've been so busy, in fact, that I'm even late with this overview! Hence why I've only managed to provide you with pick-of-the-week articles for the last month.

http://www.successconnections.com/articles/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Busy_Man.jpg
Aah, but what reviews I've left you with! And as they say, it's quality not quantity that counts, as the articles themselves are longer than before, with more attention put into the analyses and views on each piece of film.

So, without further ado...

Pick of the week - recap

http://www.genderacrossborders.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/waltz_with_bashir_movie_image__3_.jpgAri Folman's excellent animated docu-film Waltz With Bashir was first on my agenda. An insightful and incredibly unique take on a veteran's experience of war, piecing together missing memories from time spent in Lebanon. Sewn together with incredible artwork, interesting music choices and surprising humour, it's an absolute rarity!

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/images/still/headhunters-still04.jpgNext, we ventured to Norway once more for the recent and very brilliant thriller, Headhunters. If you haven't seen this yet, do yourself a favour and rent it out tonight. You'll get to meet the enigmatic Roger Brown, con-artist and thief extraordinaire, as he bites off more than he can chew when the new dog Clas Greve comes into town.
http://images.suite101.com/468256_com_backbone_1a.jpgThe Devil's Backbone is from a familiar face - the genius artist Guillermo Del Toro. When such an excellent film maker is capable of putting together such a jumbled but delicately brilliant piece of film like this so early in his career, you can see how he's gone on to become one of the biggest names in modern cinema. For fans of Pan's Labyrinth, you can see some if it's early makings here.
http://cf2.imgobject.com/t/p/original/q12bcMF2sDELN4h2Oy3MltxD9JN.jpgFinally, I returned to my own shores at the end of September to talk about one of my favourites, A Room For Romeo Brass. This is a perfect example of how a small film can carry such a big personality. Shane Meadows. Paddy Considine. Great Britain. Two pesky kids. An excellent script. Cameo from Bob Hoskins...need I say more?!

Don't forget to leave comments below, tweet me @filmbore or post on my Facebook page here.

2 comments:

  1. Headhunters - Do I spy that bloke from Game of Thrones??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, that is Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, a.k.a. Jamie Lannister...and he's seriously cool in this film!

    ReplyDelete